The main goals of the Plainedge Federation of Teachers is to promote the welfare of the children of Plainedge by providing educational opportunities for all. We advance the public education of Plainedge school children by promoting educational programs, services, and conditions, which will enable these students to better equip themselves to take their future place in the economic, social, and political life of a multicultural global community.
PFT as a union we:
- Encourage members to be active, engaged, unionists.
- Promote the unity and strength of its members
- Promote the professional, social, and economic welfare of its members and to protect their rights
- Act as representatives of the members in all dealings with the District, state, community, and other employing authorities.
- Advance the standards of the teaching profession by securing and maintaining working conditions essential to the best performance of professional service.
- Oppose unsound budget practices and domination by special interest groups.
- Promote mutual assistance and cooperation among the locals of the New York State United Teachers and its national affiliates.
- Promote the social justice agenda of New York State United Teachers and its national affiliates.
- Maintain a collaborative and positive relationship with the Plainedge community
We are Affiliated with NYSUT, AFT, AFL-CIO. The PFT represents classroom teachers, teaching assistants, guidance counselors, psychologists, social workers, librarians, library media specialists, regular substitutes, academic coordinators, outside coaches, and outside co-curricular employees.